Re: Details for svn test repository

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Daniel Berlin wrote:

> I don't believe there is a current way to tell that a file's property
> changed vs a file's content.  Though that should be easy enough to add
> to svn if such a differentiation was wanted.

The reason I didn't notice that the svn log -v output had any indication
of the property change in the directory is that I expected it to mention
somewhere the name of the property changed, e.g. to say

   M /trunk/gcc/doc (property svn:ignore)

or similar (and likewise for properties added or removed), but I doubt an
imcompatible change to svn log output format is worth doing here.

> We could also request a "property changes only" version of log (plog),
> or something, if that is what was wanted.  But it might entail
> client/server protocol changes (which are not verboten, but require more
> testing to make sure everything fails in a graceful way when not
> supported), i'd have to look if that is what you wanted.

The natural user interface would seem to be allowing -N with log to report
just changes to a directory itself - whether properties or addition or
removal of the directory or any other change Subversion understands as
applying to directories themselves.  But I don't know whether that would
need a protocol change.

Another question - how do I view logs for a file which has been deleted,
possibly in a directory which has been deleted?  In CVS, I can do "cvs log
ra.c" if the directory hasn't been deleted, or if the directory has been
deleted then "cvs update -d f; cvs log f/Make-lang.in".  But "svn log"
produces errors "Skipped 'ra.c'" or "'f' is not a working copy" and giving
a full svn:// path instead says "svn: File not found: revision 76596, path
'/trunk/gcc/ra.c'".  (I don't know if specifying a version number in which
that file existed would do, but needing to locate such a version number
first seems odd.)

(The most common case in which I have wanted such logs in practice is to
view logs of .texi files from before they moved from gcc/ to gcc/doc/
(which would also be dealt with if cvs2svn could track those moves as
being actual file renames / copies - note gcc.texi changes in that move to
refer to the new file name install-old.texi so that isn't quite just a
case of detecting identical contents of added/removed files, manual hints
might be needed).)

--
Joseph S. Myers               http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~jsm28/gcc/
    jsm@polyomino.org.uk (personal mail)