Re: Moving to an alternate VCS

On 6 Feb 2005, Thorsten Glaser yowled:
> About that... is subversion's licence considered free enough by
> the FSF? Note that svn itself is (IIRC) bsd- or similar, but it
> depends on the APR, which is (IIRC) Apache(tee emm) licence 2.0
> with its patent clauses and anything.

There is no debate regarding the freedom of the Apache 2.0 license,
nor of the modified BSD-with-advertising-clause license used by
Subversion.

What there is debate over is their GPL compatibility...

... but nobody here is proposing incorporating code from Subversion or
Apache into GCC, nor vice versa, so that isn't as important. (There
may still be political problems: I'd not venture to judge.)

--
`anybody who quotes Russ [Allbery] can be forgiven almost anything!'
                                                  -- Stephen J. Turnbull