Re: Apple specific options: patch to include them in the currentrelease gcc?

Dale Johannesen wrote:

On Jan 27, 2005, at 8:22 PM, Matt Austern wrote:

- Patches that we haven't even bothered to submit because we're pretty sure they'd be rejected. (Example: alternate asm syntax that's more compatible with CodeWarrior and Visual C++.)

Actually, Stan submitted this and it was firmly rejected. A better example is some common-code
optimizer tweaks that are not applicable or negative for other targets. These can sometimes be
gotten into mainline by adding new macros, but people are skeptical of such changes, rightly so.

We did have some useful discussion on inline asm blocks, and Ian
put forth a spiffy compromise design that included the best
features of both CW and GCC syntax - now just waiting for someone
energetic enough to make it happen...

I expect there will be a flurry of patches for FSF GCC once
Tiger is out; I've got about four queued-up myself, and I'm not
even in the compiler group! :-)

Stan