Re: Objective-C bugs and GCC releases

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Nicola Pero wrote:

All the information which was passed out is "the Objective-C frontend
won't work in GCC 4.0" and as a happy cc1obj user without any issues so
far I think it is completely valid to ask for clarification even though
I'm not a GCC internals expert.

No such announcement was ever made. What Mark announced was that Objective-C bugs would not be treated as release-critical. What this does is to impose a time limit on getting Objective-C bug fixes into the compiler.

Mark should have put the spotlight on asking for help in fixing the bugs. This is a large mailing list of ObjC users and developers and he could easily get help.
Actually, someone crossposted it.

Instead he chose to put the spotlight on explaining to this same large
mailing list of ObjC zealots why he doesn't care if Objective-C works or
not when he makes a release.

Actually, no. Mark didn't do that at all. It was whoever started copying the gnustep lists that did that.

Surprised that this generated a flamewar ? I'd have been surprised of the opposite.

We try to have a couple flamewars a year, just to get in shape for our yearly summit.

Unfortunately, this one kinda screws us because now we can't have one till around March.