Re: PING: gimplifier ICE fix / broken GCC 4.0

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 05:04:39PM +0100, Helge Hess wrote:
> Honestly I don't understand the technical issue at hand but I can
> hardly believe that the issue involves something which isn't trivial to
> fix by one of the core maintainers who broke cc1obj in the first place

Incorrect.  You might want to read the history in the archives.  It
seems to me that the object model inside the Objective-C frontend has
rotted from lack of care.

> Creating a seperate GCC community just for cc1obj is obviously
> nonsense. Getting into GCC is a life-time project while the fixes are
> just minor issues. Remember that cc1obj was working for years. We don't
> need to have it extended, we don't want to add additional
> functionality, we just want to ensure that changes in the C frontend do
> not break the ObjC one. That shouldn't be too much to ask for.

On the contrary, it is much larger than you give it credit for.  The
ObjC frontend is a large set of hooks on top of the C frontend.  The C
frontend is a living, evolving piece of software.  It also interfaces
to the GCC backend - another living piece of software.

> I *very* much hope that FSF will take some authority and step in and
> resolve this issue. Either by paying someone to fix the issue at hand
> or by modifying the release criteria for GCC. After all GCC and GNUstep
> are both FSF projects. Releasing GCC 4.0 without ObjC will hurt the
> free software world.

The FSF does not pay volunteers to fix bugs.  Find a volunteer to fix
the bugs if that's what you want to happen - which, in this case, did
happen.  Thank you, Alex M.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz