Re: Migrate to Autotest for testing framework?

"Sam Lauber" <sam124@operamail.com> writes:
> I think GCC should use GNU Autotest (part of Autoconf) as
> the testing framework instead of DejaGNU.  It would (1)
> allow GCC to be tested on the platforms DejaGNU does not
> support, and (2) have the advantage of the shell.  Also,
> since GCC is complexly tested, it would help Autotest
> development too.

Have you looked at the capabilities of DejaGNU the GCC testsuite uses
and compared them with what's available with Autotest?  It seems like
a huge gulf to me.  IMO it would be far easier to port DejaGNU to any
platforms where it's not supported than it would be to port the test-
suite itself.

It's not clear to me that the shell is a better language than tcl for
test suite development.  I think Python is, which is why I use QMTest
for my personal use.

    --jtc

--
J.T. Conklin