Re: fold_builtin_memcpy cannot optimize <retval>?

Paul Brook wrote:
On Friday 21 January 2005 18:03, Mark Mitchell wrote:

Jeffrey A Law wrote:

I'm not an expert on the differences in the semantics of POINTER_TYPE
and REFERENCE_TYPE, but I do know that I've been treating them as
effectively the same.

The only difference is that a REFERENCE_TYPE object can never be NULL.

Didn't we discuss this before and decide that REFERENCE_TYPE objects can be NULL?

I'm not sure. I seemed to believe in that thread that they could never be NULL, but I'm not sure if everyone agreed, and I see that we suggested a non-NULL tag on objects somewhere. So, in that case, there may be no difference at all to the middle-end. In any case, I think that it would make sense for us to allow a REFERENCE_TYPE anywhere we allow a POINTER_TYPE.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC