Re: C++ header file problem - is this a bug?

On Jan 10, 2005, at 12:36 PM, Matt Austern wrote:

On Jan 4, 2005, at 9:54 PM, Bill Northcott wrote:

On 05/01/2005, at 6:27 AM, Dave Korn wrote:
Did you notice that you're writing C++, and ***NOT*** C?

As such, you should use the C++ library functions and headers, not the C
library functions and headers, since they're for a different programming
language.

Why aren't you using the std::isnan() function?

I can't find any documentation, and if I try to use it I get the following:
error: `isnan' undeclared in namespace `std'
which is unsurprising since it does not appear to be declared or defined in any header in /usr/include except math.h, which gets stuffed by cmath.

Would those be adequate reasons not to use it?

Just how is one expected to get isnan() functionality in a C++ program?

I'm not so sure our current behavior is correct either.

First, I don't understand the motivation for undefining isnan as a macro and then defining an std::isnan within namespace std. Yes, it's true that defining an isnan macro would violate the C++ standard. But then, defining an isnan function within namespace std violates the standard too. Why go to all this effort merely to change one kind of standard violation into another kind?

Second, as Bill has pointed out, we're not doing this completely. At least on Darwin, we're undefining that macro and replacing it with nothing.

Sorry, I wrote this without testing---always a mistake.

As of 4.0 we're doing something on Darwin that's not so hard to understand: the <math.h> form keeps the C99 macros from the system headers, and the <cmath> form gets rid of those macros and replaces them with a function template.

I'm not sure whether it was intended for isnan to be so different in <math.h> and <cmath> (I still haven't seen a specification for how we're trying to treat the C99 math macros), but what we're doing seems reasonably sane and defensible to me.

--Matt