Re: Bootstrap time regressions

On Friday 07 January 2005 01:07, Greg Schafer wrote:
>  1) STAGE1_CHECKING slows down C only bootstraps by up to 19.5% (on my
> setup at least)

But at least you can be sure that your compiler works as expected.  The
internal consistency checking is there for your own safety.

>  2) C only bootstrap times with GCC-4 have almost exactly doubled since
>     3.4.3 (again, on my setup at least)

C only bootstrap compile roughly twice as much code as before, so this
is not so surprising.

> I guess I'm asking if anyone else thinks that STAGE1_CHECKING should be
> switched off in the released 4.0 compiler in the face of hard numbers?

I don't see any real reason to turn it off.  I don't know how often
you would bootstrap a release compiler, but I'd hope at most once.  So
you take a small overhead once, when you build the compiler.  Why is
that such a big deal for you?

Gr.
Steven