GCC 4.0 Status Report (2004-12-21)

I've spent the afternoon looking through Bugzilla.  My conclusion is
that we're making progress (down to 169 regressions open against 4.0),
but we've still got quite a ways to go.  There are a lot of
optimization issues, and as usual, a lot of C++ issues.  We've got bug
reports about bad code generation in the Linux kernel, a variety of
other wrong-code issues, and a lot of issues about inferior code
generation.  At the same time, there are some pretty trivial issues
mixed in, and as I make another pass through these, I'll be
downgrading a lot of them to P3.  I'd encourage target and component
maintainers to look at bugs in their areas, and set priorities
accordingly as well.

We're still in regression-only mode on the mainline; please honor
that, both with respect to submitting patches and with respect to
approving patches.

Please make like RTH and keep crunching through those regressions!

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC