Re: New target for Coldfire v4e?

Peter Barada wrote:

It seems this whole development is happening behind a curtain.
NDAs or what?

I beleive that I"ve checked out the uclinux tree with support for the 547x target in it, Greg and verify that. This work hasn't been done under NDAs, just that it isn't worth exposing it until it is known to work. I haven't signed any NDA to see the work thus far, and you've seen that Freescale is trying to get it integrated back into the mainline tree.

Fine. Are you also going to integrate patches into the Linux kernel? I've read you've ported 2.4... what about 2.6?

It's too bad I don't have the hardware... not that I could help
much, but it would be fun to try :-)

I tend to agree, perhaps sharing some common code.  Targets such
as RTEMS and uClinux may want to support both architectures while
retaining consistency in target macros such as TARGET_OS_CPP_BUILTINS.

I'm looking at splitting off the gcc/config/m68k directory into gcc/config/coldfire for some of this and future work and adding configs or coldfire-elf and coldfire-linux...

You'd also need to move m68k-uclinux to coldfire-uclinux. Actually, there was a port of uClinux to the 68000 (Amiga 500) and DragonBall (Palm II), but these are mostly unofficial.

Are you also going to cleanup the m68k target by removing the
ColdFire bits?

Perhaps it'd better if it lives as an external patchset for a while,
like many new targets do in their infancy.

Your probably right, but the quicker that they are seen teh quicker they can be revamped into something acceptable to the mainline.

I'm also a fan of "release early, release often" and "many eyes make all bugs shallow" (Linus).

Besides, have you already submitted patches for config.sub and
config.guess to the configury project?  And what about as/ld changes?

Any prepatory patched have to wait until mainline gets out of stage 3 unless the release manager doesn't care about changes to gcc that affect a non primary or secondary port. as/ld already support -mcfv4e.

Good.

I don't think any patches have been submitted for config.sub.

Once they're accepted (the maintainer will usually ask to make sure the target really exists and has some kind of userbase), anyone can import the latest version in the ggo and src CVS trees.

\X/  http://www.develer.com/