Re: clarification on use of --enable-threads

--- Nathan Sidwell <nathan@codesourcery.com> wrote:
> Aniruddha Jahagirdar wrote:
> > Why does the compiler (gcc) have to know in advance what threading model is it be used on the
> > given machine ?
> > How does specification of the threading model affect exception handling ?
> > Can't I build code that uses threading if --enable-threads is not supported on the platform I
> am
> > using (example - alphaev56-dec-osf5.1) ?
>
> the runtime library needs to lock certain objects to ensure correct
> operation.  It therefore needs to know how to do that.  Static object
> construction and exception handling come to mind.

So, does this mean that I can use any threading model ( say sun or posix ) on a given platform (
alphaev56-dec-osf5.1 ) as long I link my source-code with the proper threading library ?

thanks- aj

=====
Regards,

Aniruddha.

Phone [Daytime]: (+91) 20 401 4488

PS:: I dont use the cell Phone anymore !