Re: What happen if... (related GPL & src)

hgbasm <hgbasm@yahoo.com.mx> writes:

> I will read or desire to read the source code of gcc, but if I for
> example make some anotations or some work based in my notes, or I get
> a idea of how to implement X thing,  or I think that certain idea is
> nice, and then I make my own compiler this compiler should need by
> under GPL?

Believe it or not, this is not really a gcc question.  It is a
question about the GPL.  Try gnu.misc.discuss.

My answer is that your compiler is covered by the GPL if it is a
derivative work of gcc.  When is it a derivative work?  Nobody can
tell you for sure, as the notion of a derivative work in software is
not spelled out by law or by the court system.  Taking an idea from
gcc and reimplementing it yourself will probably not itself cause your
implementation to be a derivative work.

Ian