Re: generalized lvalues -- patch outline

> One user's description of lvalue casts is "... there is absolutely zero
> point to them ... The whole extension is just braindamaged ... I bet 99%
> of the people on this list have no clue what the exact semantics of the
> above are." (Linus Torvalds in
> <http://seclists.org/lists/linux-kernel/2003/Dec/5431.html>).  I agree.

Note that Linus doesn't mention the pointer case.

Since we are at lkml exegesis, take a look at
http://www.kerneltraffic.org/kernel-traffic/kt20041009_276.html#3

<but Willy Tarreau replied, "Tell that to gcc developpers who constantly break
compatibility between versions. I even have userland programs which do not
compile anymore with gcc-3.3 and which I don't even know how to
'fix' (workaround ?).">

--
Eric Botcazou