Re: generalized lvalues -- patch outline

On Nov 22, 2004, at 3:39 PM, Ziemowit Laski wrote:

On 19 Nov 2004, at 17.50, Ziemowit Laski wrote:

To put it another way, I'm only concerned with cases where the compiler currently complains
about assigning to a non-lvalue, and the non-lvalue in question is a cast of an lvalue.

Indeed, I now appear to have a mainline mod for C and C++ which allows assignment to lvalue casts for pointer types. What follows is a high-level synopsis of what I did; if there is interest, I can whip up a full-fledged patch, complete with docs. Please let me know.

Just use a builtin as proposed by Nathan and others for the problem you
are trying to solve.  The syntax for casts as lvalue just looks bad.
The builtin can return a reference (yes even in the C front-end you
can have references [varargs is an example of which is used as
references in the front-end]).

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski