Re: generalized lvalues

On 18 Nov 2004, at 16.40, Joe Buck wrote:

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 04:14:21PM -0800, Ziemowit Laski wrote:
Of course, since we are discussing a language extension, _we_ get to
decide how it interacts with C++ overloading.
For the same reason, Matt's assertion that the feature "breaks valid
C++ programs" is inherently contradictory,
since programs containing it cannot be valid. :-)

You just completely ignored what I wrote. Go back and read it again. Cast-as-lvalue breaks valid C++ programs. Period. It breaks programs that never assign to a cast.

You're right -- for some reason, I completely blanked out on the fact that the cast is still legal (!!!), and so that we're (more or less silently) changing the semantics of that cast. My apologies...

Also, I realized that the lvalue casts that I desire would never be used in the scenario your example depicts; I'm really concerned about "assigning to a cast", as you put it.

--Zem