Re: generalized lvalues

On Nov 17, 2004, at 9:28 PM, Joe Buck wrote:
On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 08:21:21PM -0800, Matt Austern wrote:

Yep, and I'm still not arguing against removing it. I'm just asking
for help in collecting a list of the reasons why we chose to get rid of
it. I don't think this discussion will go away, and having that list
will be helpful. I think a number of us will be asked: (a) why did
this extension disappear; and (b) how should I change my code to cope
with the disappearance. I'd like to be prepared with answers to those
questions.

I doubt if you will get the flood of questions you anticipate, because few people even knew that the extension was there. It is possible that someone has a production program that is not valid C++ that will now break, but if this happens we just tell them how to fix the program.

Just a random data point, 58 out of 1252 (4.6%) projects failed to build because of it.