Re: [cft] subreg validation round 2

Alan Modra wrote:
On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 11:45:53AM -0800, Richard Henderson wrote:

On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 11:18:41AM -0800, Bob Wilson wrote:

If so, should I change FUNCTION_ARG code to avoid returning a BLKmode reg? Should I wrap the REG in a PARALLEL?

Presumably you didn't just return the SImode reg in the first place because you want the three bytes in the high part of the register? Then, yes, a PARALLEL should do.

Or define a suitable BLOCK_REG_PADDING. At least, that used to work..

I'm looking into it, but from a quick check of various other ports, I'm surprised that more of them aren't breaking. (Or maybe they are....) Many of the FUNCTION_ARG implementations create a REG with whatever mode is specified as an argument to FUNCTION_ARG, which is what the Xtensa code does. I'm not doing anything special here.

The "smaller than a word struct argument" case that causes the ICE is actually the easiest to handle. Ignoring the padding issue, a single SImode REG will work. For a struct bigger than a word, I guess a PARALLEL is required to specify each consecutive register separately (at least in the general case where there is no mode of the right size). I can see why it should be that way, but it was so much easier to just specify the first register with BLKmode....

Thanks for the suggestions.

--Bob