Re: New development branch: ia64-fp-model-branch

Paolo Bonzini <bonzini@gnu.org> writes:

>> Implementation of #pragma _USE_SF will definitely require front-end
>> changes, as GCC currently has no support for lexically-scoped #pragma.
>> (This feature is desirable for C99 and OpenMP support as well.)
>> Assuming some mechanism for propagating the information all the way
>> through the tree optimizers, the backend needs only check the state of
>> the #pragma in expanders and choose the appropriate pattern.
>
> This is slightly different from OpenMP, where all the lowering is done
> way before the backend are reached.

Yup.  This concept of alternative floating-point control registers is
so backend-specific, though, that I don't see any alternative.

> But anyway I'd like it if Joseph's parser were placed on a branch, and
> gomp-branch (maybe ia64-fp-model-branch as well) rebranched off there.
> I don't like the current situation where we get a 150k patch each week.

There's a lot of other work to do on ia64-fp-model-branch that doesn't
require Joseph's parser, so I do not want to tie the two together just
yet.

zw