Re: Python frontend?

Mark Mitchell wrote:
John wrote:

Has anyone conceived a python frontend for gcc?

Yes, I did conceive of such a thing a few years back. And I was probably not the first.

Would it be possible?

Yes. But, not easy. And, because Python is so dynamic, you would end up emitting a lot of calls to runtime support routines for things that look like built-in operators.

You might take a look at Psyco instead. Haven't tried it, but it does look interesting. It's basically a JIT compiler that compiles code blocks based on the types of data they use, so there may be multiple compiled versions of the same block for different kinds of data. At present it seems to be x86-only, and it does have a few semantic bugs.

http://psyco.sourceforge.net/

Colin