Fw: Fw: New GNU-GCC logotype (Concept Look v 1.0) <smaller version for gcc@gnu.org>

Turbanov Vladislav Dmitrievich wrote:

Thank U, Dave. I didn't understand what U have said =), but I think that this means some kinda chaotic nature ... I would like to tell all of U, that comments and suggestions, concerning this prototype are wellcome.

I'm very glad we're discussing GCC's logo as we clearly need better branding for our project.

For comparison, look at what Mozilla just did to improve the
percepted quality of their products.  As a consequence, it
seems they're finally expanding their "market" very quickly.

Given that, I'm sorry to say that the new logo is nice and
I like it much better than the current one, but it's probably
not what GCC would need to improve user's perception of its
quality and reliability as a development tool.

I work for a consulting company that is strongly based on FOSS
technology.  GCC is our primary compiler for many different
platforms and environments.  When I work with developers from
other companies, I'm often very surprised to hear what they
think about GCC.

Joe's Developer opinion ranges from "insufficient, too simple"
to "misses many key features", "old-fashioned" or even
"unreliable", "made by hobbyists/teens".

GCC's quality as a professional tool is undefensible: they
keep staring at our home page and refuse to believe it really
is a better compiler that their XYZZY commercial tool.

The key point is that we don't need another funny logo that
*we* like.  Do we want more users?  Then we need something
as boring as Microsoft's logo for Developer Studio, perhaps
designed by psychologists or marketing experts.

Very good, mr Bernardo - U took it serious. That's what I want from all of U. Look at my reply to Aaron - it should clarify the present project condition. Compiler and IT atmosphere is very strict and difficult to catch. However there is no need to ignore "*we* like" look. Both of them can be combined to make GCC developers "feel at home" and other users feel certain about GCC. As a suggestion I would like to make U think about 2nd gcc.gnu.org version with a better design... I'm not familiar with web-page production, still can help with images for buttons, backrounds and headers.