Re: GCC IMA & general future proposal

I'll keep this short, then let you have the final word if you want it.

David Edelsohn wrote:
they have guaranteed that no one will use the compiler for anything except benchmarking.

Scott> Incorrect. I know many people who use Intel's compiler for production code, especially in the high-performance and Fortran
communities.

Again, that is not the point of Ken's comment.

Ken could have made his point without all the anti-Intel rhetoric. Geoff's proposal doesn't even mention Intel by name, so I wonder why Ken felt it necessary to use this as a platform for assailing Intel?

As quoted above, he stated that "no one will use the [Intel] compiler
for anything other than benchmarking." That is demonstrably *not* true.
We don't like it when people say false things about GCC...

As it is, Geoff's proposal makes sense, and I'll be interested to see
what the outcome of the meeting is.

Also, IBM compilers are available for free trial.

A 60-day trial, which is better than some, but not as good as Intel's non-commercial license (and certainly both are worse, in license terms, than free software like GCC!)

I agree that Intel is using their compiler as a marketing tool. Such is
*not* incompatible with their compiler also being quite useful in
circles where IBM and GCC are not viable options.

The best thing for GCC is to be viable in as many circles as is practical.

..Scott