Re: Cross compilers without assemblers (rant)

Zack Weinberg wrote:

As a compromise position, can I suggest what I suggested at the end of
my original rant?  Always probe for assembler features in a native
configuration.  In cross configurations, probe if <target>-as exists,
or if doing a unified tree build.

No objection. But Kelley's patch is preferable to the current situation, which is not acceptable. (I'm assuming it does the right thing for cross configurations, if <target>-as exists.)

> Don't probe otherwise.

Or perhaps (for extra points) only warn in that case.  Though warnings
in a long make log tend to be overlooked anyway ...
--
	--Per Bothner