Re: fold_convert question

On Oct 15, 2004, at 11:14 PM, Richard Kenner wrote:

But "fold" itself calls "fold_convert" to ensure/force a tree to a
specified type. i.e. fold_convert is called for both generic, gimple
and potentially even by front-ends that don't use tree-ssa.

Hmm ...

What I don't understand is why have two different ARRAY types in the
first place?

This seems very inefficient.  As a new GCC developer I would like to
see that types be correctly done in the front-end and middle-end.
Saying two types are compatible but having a VIEW_CONVERT is just
wrong.

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski