Re: Help: Testsuite filenames are not parallel-make safe

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 11:32:32PM -0400, Kaveh R. Ghazi wrote:
> I recently got some spurious errors from a "make -j3 check" in
> gcc-3.3.x:
>
> 	FAIL: gcc.dg/debug/trivial.c -gstabs+ execution test
> 	FAIL: g++.dg/debug/trivial.C -gdwarf-2 -O3 execution test
>
> By looking at the logfile and running the tests by hand I cannot
> reproduce the errors separately.
>
> I believe the transient failure occurs because both the gcc and g++
> tests in this case were output to files named "./trivial.exe".  They
> got created and tried to run at the same time and clobbered each
> other.

debug/debug.exp explicitly passes that filename to gcc-dg-debug-runtest,
probably because the purpose of the test is to use a simple filename.
Other tests in the debug directory are passed using relative pathnames.

Probably the answer in this case it to rename one of the trivial.c
files.

> Second, why is the filename encoding style different for these
> g++.mike vs debug?  (I guess we're setting it differently and thus in
> more than one place.)

There are lots of special-purpose procedures in the testsuite, some
because there are reasons for them and some because people don't
understand the functionality that's already there and reinvent things;
I'm guilty of some of that.

Janis