Re: attribute data structure rewrite

Geoffrey Keating wrote:

As a precondition for other compile speed improvements, I've been rewriting the way that GCC represents attributes. The result is a medium-size patch that touches every language and many targets (a surprising number of targets don't define any special attributes at all).

1. Do we think this would be acceptable for stage 3, or should I make a branch?

It might be acceptable for Stage 3 if the subsequent follow-on patches demonstrated a noticable performance improvement. It should be a branch until you can demonstrate that improvement. The final decision on acceptability will probably hinge on how mechanical the patch is: even if large, if it is quite mechanical (as I would anticipate), that will make it less worrisome.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC