RE: Bootstrap difficulties on powerpc-apple-darwin6.8 (Mac OS X 10.2.8)

  Although I kind of feel the same, that it's asking an awful lot of a
shell, and in particular of the cygwin shell, which has to live with certain
limits imposed on it by the underlying OS, the POSIX spec suggests that it
ought to be acceptable:

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/idx/shell.html

"  2.3 Token Recognition
The shell shall read its input in terms of lines from a file, from a
terminal in the case of an interactive shell, or from a string in the case
of sh -c or system(). The input lines can be of unlimited length. "

    cheers,
      DaveK