Detecting and optimising byte swaping operations in words

Hi,

I was wondering how difficult it would be to write some code in
gcc in order to detect and optimise byte swaping operations with host
processor instructions, like 'bswap' on x86.

Reading the generated assembly code, I see that gcc already detect and
optimise binary rotation code. Maybe this would be quite similar ? Where
should I look in gcc to to find the place where this optimisation is
done ?

Thanks,
Guillaume Knispel