Re: Obsolete building in source dir?

> This raises the question of why gcc has the problem and the other
> projects don't.

I suspect it's because gcc is the only project where the organization
of the build tree doesn't match the organization of the source tree.
Between host/build/target modules and multilibs, we move stuff around
a lot.  Keeping track of where we put it is where we lose the most.  I
suspect that making srcdir absolute will fix most of the hard
problems, and we can conditional that on finding gcc in the source
tree.

if [ -d $srcdir/gcc ]
then
  srcdir=`cd $srcdir; $PWDCMD`
fi

Similarly for the build directory.  The down side is that you can't
move a build any more, but I've found that to be true already.