Re: Obsolete building in source dir?

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Zack Weinberg wrote:

> Could someone remind me what was wrong with the "if configure notices
> it's been invoked in the source directory, create a build directory
> behind the user's back" idea?  That wouldn't break all the time.

has that patch and subsequent discussion leading to its reversion.

I'd be happy with both doing that again and converting relative srcdir to
an absolute path unconditionally to get rid of bugs such as 13993 and
reduce the number of variations Makefiles need to handle to one (building
out of srcdir with an absolute path to srcdir).

--
Joseph S. Myers               http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~jsm28/gcc/
  http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~jsm28/gcc/#c90status - status of C90 for GCC 4.0