Re: Ada mainline

 > From: Robert Dewar
 >  > Diego Novillo wrote:
 >  >
 >  > Have you read and understood http://gcc.gnu.org/contribute.html?  If
 >  > that doesn't answer your questions, we should probably add the missing
 >  > bits.
 >
 > Yes, of course I have read this, but the entire premise here is of an
 > extended community of developers submitting patches to a small group
 > of people to be reviewed.

As I mentioned here http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2004-09/msg00468.html
there are other reasons for following our rules besides the explicit
approve/reject scenario by an existing guru.

Reasons include:

1.  You often get helpful suggestions.
2.  You help create/educate the next generation of developers.
3.  There is a public audit trail and discussion for posterity.

You might not believe #1 can happen for Ada.  That's true mostly
because your cloistered developement model means #2 and #3 can't
happen today.  So only the handful of current ACT employees can ever
touch GNAT.  If that's your goal, then you've been wildly successful.
But that model IMHO is ultimately self-defeating for both GNAT and
ACT.

		--Kaveh
--
Kaveh R. Ghazi			ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu