Re: Why don't we set up an official wiki for GCC documentation?

On Sep 9, 2004, at 10:33 AM, Daniel Berlin wrote:

On Sep 9, 2004, at 1:24 PM, Joseph S. Myers wrote:

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Daniel Berlin wrote:
It is for gcc developers, and those learning to develop in gcc, so that they
can understand the internals, the status of things, etc, in a collaborative
environment.

And it seems to work reasonably well for that sort of thing. I just don't
think the original poster's

The documentation of GCC is a heavily disccussed issue here. I
strongly feel wiki would be a solution for it.

bears much relation to how it is useful - the problems with the main documentation (manuals and comments) are not something wiki will help address, those with projects lists might be though the right relation between projects listed in wiki and listed as bugs in Bugzilla needs experimentation.

I agree wholeheartedly. I don't think wiki is a good solution for our documentation right now. Our documentation is mostly in .texi, which isn't hard to modify at all.

Well, actually our documentation (meaning documentation of compiler internals) is mostly in source comments, messages on this list, and people's heads. It would be nice if we had a set of .texi design documents that walked through compiler internals, but we don't.

--Matt