Re: GCC 3.5 Status (2004-08-29)

Steven Bosscher wrote:

On Monday 30 August 2004 01:17, Mark Mitchell wrote:

The following changes will be postponed until GCC 3.6.  These changes
either provide too little benefit, are too risky, or will take too
much time to complete.

* Aliasing improvements for structure fields [Berlin]

But you should
realize that this analysis is absolutely critical if GCC 3.5 is going
to perform reasonably well.

I am not convinced of this statement.

First, the compiler speed argument mostly affects optimizing compilations, where compile-times are much less critical than non-optimizing compilations. I'm sure that people will want to argue this point, but I've been talking with customers for a decade and the ones concerned about compile-times are almost always willing to have optimizing compilation take longer.

Second, Dan said it will take 2-3 months to complete this work. That's a lot of time, and indicates a big project. I am confident that there are alternatives that, while perhaps less comprehensive, get enough of the common cases to achieve most of the benefits.

Third, if this change is so vital, then we should be willing to drop some other changes in favor of this one, so that people can work with Dan to finish this one. Why don't you suggest some changes that are already on the list that you'd be willing to give up?

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC