RE: Broken link and defunct search

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
sed -e 's/_002d/-/g' -e 's/_002a/*/g'

to a strategic place to the wwwdocs/bin/preprocess script on gcc.gnu.org.
I don't see this in CVS yet.

I just added it locally, because it is so ugly. If I haven't heard back from the makeinfo folks by next week, I'll commit it.

Joseph, do you want to do something similar for /onlinedocs?  The URLs
generated by makeinfo 4.7 are simply gross (and currently external links
and bookmarks into /onlinedocs are broken).
If makeinfo isn't going to change back then I think we simply need to
update all links pointing from our pages into the onlinedocs for mainline.
The stability of URLs for mainline docs is never guaranteed, as manual
sections may be renamed freely.

True, but feel, and strongly so, that the new schema is a design failure and needlessly uglifies user-visible URLs, so I really would like us to
consider restoring the old scheme even without upstream support.

Gerald