Re: Help with bit-field semantics in C and C++

On Tuesday, August 24, 2004, at 02:49 PM, Mark Mitchell wrote:
Grrr... It _is_ permitted. The standard is perfectly clean on this issue.

Pragmatically, I'd say that if there's this much disagreement among people who know the standard very well

Permitted to me means must be compiled by the compiler. The program must be compiled. If you all mean something different by the word permitted, then, I'd ask you to use some other terminology.

If you are arguing that it violates a rule of the language, please cite the rule.