Re: GCC Benchmarks (coybench), AMD64 and i686, 14 August 2004

Scott Robert Ladd wrote:

There is one compiler that produces a perfect score on Paranoia: No failures, defects, or flaws.

GCC 3.5, on my Opteron system.

Compiled with -march=opteron, GCC 3.5 has a perfect paranoia score. Adding -O3 does *not* introduce any errors on the Opteron; adding -ffast-math results in a *single* minor "flaw".

Last week I was at meeting 169 of J3, the Fortran Standardization body.

During that meeting I had a discussion about support for floating point computations by ICC and GCC. It turns out that ICC uses both the multimedia floating point instructions *and* the old ix87 ones.

As far as I know, on AMD64, GCC only uses the multimedia ones.

That might explain the difference.

A maintainer of GNU Fortran 95: http://gcc.gnu.org/fortran/