Re: GCC Benchmarks (coybench), AMD64 and i686, 14 August 2004

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 07:53:40PM -0400, Robert Dewar wrote:
> Richard Kenner wrote:
>
> >     The trig identity that 2*sin(x)*cos(x) is sin(2*x) is more iffy; we'd
> >     waste time trying to apply such transformations to every tree, and
> >     it's pretty much exactly what caused such controversy when everyone
> >     did it to Whetstone.
> >
> > Although I agree with you in general about tuning to benchmarks, I disagree
> > with the above.  When you consider some of the even more obscure cases in
> > both tree and RTL folding, that doesn't seem so peculiar anymore.
>
> It seems completely wrong to me. I guess people who use -ffast-math
> tolerate these kind of non-optimizations (an optimization to me is
> a transformation that is meaning preserving, not a substitution of
> some other computation that gives a different result!)

Are we sure that ICC does 2*sin(x)*cos(x) -> sin(2*x)?  It seems to me
that just being able to produce x < PI2 ? 2*sin(x)*cos(x) : 0.0 gives
most of the available speedup.  Such a transformation should be achievable
and preserves the result.