Re: warn/croak on "string" "string" auto-joins

Robert Dewar wrote:

Zack Weinberg wrote:

Adam Monsen <haircut@gmail.com> writes:

String auto-joins can be dangerous. Is there a way to tell the
compiler to warn/croak when an auto-join occurs?

There is not, and without a way for the programmer to make clear that a given use of string-constant concatenation is intentional, I am reluctant to add one.

I would think the reasonable condition for the warning is that no
line feed appears between the two strings, which is indeed unusual
usage.

Not that unusual, for instance consider a macro that expands into "%d" or "%ld", used in printf("before " MACRO " after", int_or_long) and the like. Our very own code uses this trick even.

Stan