Re: xscale performance optimization difference between gcc 3.2 and3.4.0

Bill Garner wrote:
Does gcc 3.4.0/3.4.1 do better xscale performance optimization than gcc 3.2?.

It is difficult to give specifics, so many different people write so many different patches for gcc, and we make no effort to track them all.

Some of this stuff does get documented in our release notes. You could try looking at them on the web site. Check both the gcc-3.4 and gcc-3.3 release notes.
http://gcc.gnu.org/releases.html

Yes, there has been xscale development and optimization work in between gcc-3.2 and gcc-3.4. There has also been general arm work that might benefit xscale, and also machine independent work that might benefit xscale.

One notable item is that gcc now has iwmmxt support.

It is impossible to say whether any of this work will help your application, or by how much. Performance is very application dependent.