Re: GCC Status (2004-08-09)

Richard Kenner wrote:

What are those pieces?

I don't have the full list, but I can think of the LNO work and some Darwin
things offhand and I'm sure there are others I'm forgotting.

I certainly can't take into account items I don't know about.

I'm aware of the LNO work, and am trying to get a handle on that.

What Darwin changes are in the works?

The burden of showing that a cleanup fixes a bug will discourage these
cleanups, which I think are an important part of a release after as many
changes as we've had to the compiler.

Raising the bar for cleanups is perfectly appropriate for the later stages of a release; almost every substantial cleanup in GCC has introduced a new set of bugs.

The Stage 3 threshold is really pretty low: you have to fix some bug somewhere. The point is that you don't get to add new features at that point; most other changes are OK. If you had a really compelling cleanup that was going to make it much easier to fix other bugs, I'm sure people would go along with that.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC