Re: GCC Status (2004-08-09)

Richard Kenner wrote:

   I would also strongly suggest that we not go into stage 3 before we've
   decided on *achievable* release criteria.  I would not like to see a
   situation where we go into stage 3 because we've passed an arbitrary
   deadline, and then stay there for many months because of unachievable
   targets for branching.

I have a similar concern. Lots of people are away in August, so September 5
is very close. There are a lot of major pieces that are planned to be
committed in the next few weeks and it would be good to be able to spend some
time on cleanup issues that inevitably come up after that many pieces go in.

What are those pieces?

Maybe a possibility would be a sort of stage 2.5 where we don't allow any new
features, but allow cleanup changes in addition to the normal 3 stage
commits.

Stage 3 permits bug fixes, so as long as the cleanup changes are advancing the fixing of some bug this isn't a problem.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC