Re: Converting GCC to compilation with C++

Much different, and much easier.

What I meant was: why would a GCJ (Java) front-end in C++ be anything to cry hoarse over, when Ada already has a non-C front-end?

And my reply was: IMO for no reason, because it is *much* easier to handle it. We do have a front-end for that language (C++) in our compiler, which is written in C. So nothing else would be required to bootstrap

I agree with the latter part of your reply though: there will
have to be a "stage4" where the newly built C++ compiler
builds the Java front-end, if that's what you meant.

More or less. That would be a possibility, but one that is only needed by people who have no C++ compiler and no GCC installed. With a C++ compiler you could compile Java even in stage1; and with GCC you could compile the C++ front-end in stage1, and use it to build Java in stage2 like it is now.

Paolo