Re: Bridging the new C/C++ grok....() impedance mismatch

Ziemowit Laski wrote:

No. You could do that, but it would be inefficient; better just to create the data structures you want in the first place... (Or, if you really want to be a hero, merge the C and C++ front ends, so that you don't have to be trying to talk to two front ends...)

Hmm, that's tempting... by "merge the C and C++ front-ends", hopefully you mean "tweak the C++ front-end to also accept C"? Most of that work should be fairly trivial, me thinks; the tricky part will be in handling areas where C++ and C99 differ.

Yes, exactly. And those parts are not terribly hard; for example, the differing pointer conversion rules should just require loosening a few tests in C++. Adding K&R support is one of the nastier bits. It's months of work, but not years.

Having a unified front-end would definitely make my life _way_ easier, but I'm wondering if this is doable in the 3.5 time frame. What do you think?

Sadly, no, I don't think that's possible.

However, I'm actually opposed to trying to abstract away more bits from the two front ends into c-common.c with more langhooks back into the front ends; to me, that effort should instead go into adding C support to cc1plus.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC