Re: g++.old-deja/g++.mike/p7325.C - suspected bogus test case

On Saturday, June 26, 2004, at 12:37 PM, Mark Mitchell wrote:
I can certainly think of situations where the compiler could fail this test with optimization enabled

This test cases doesn't use optimization, and test case that did, would be a totally different test case. We aren't talking about a different test case, we are talking about the exact one mentioned.

So, I agree -- the compiler could reasonably fail this test either with optimization enabled or disabled, on plausible architectures.

I disagree. To prove this, fix the test case, and see if it fails. You'll discover that in fact the test case is reliable and does work. I'd rather revisit this path when someone wants to put in an optimization that causes the testcase to fail, we can then see if there are ways to ensure that it works, or find ways that it will work. Removing the test cases because there might exist a future optimization that might make it not work, is, well, premature in my book.

For example, if someone wanted to consume more stack to make the test case execute faster, than I would say add -Os to the testcase and ensure that the compiler still reuses the stack space.

Therefore, it's OK to remove this test for 3.4.1 and on the mainline.

:-( I object.