Re: Using C++ in gcc (was Re: [RFC] type safe trees)

On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 02:51:37PM -0400, Geert Bosch wrote:

> However, I agree that the real issue is wether to take the first step
> towards C++ or not, as the consensus is that once we take one step we'll
> end up going all the way.

I don't see that consensus yet.

    http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2004-06/msg01540.html

We /can/ draw a line in the sand and refuse to use features deemed
unsuitable.  (Existence proof:  Mozilla did it.)  Future generations of
GCC developers may choose to move the line, but there's no requirement
that we move the line every other point release.

Of course, your point about the first step being the big one is certainly
valid.

--
Behind everything some further thing is found, forever; thus the tree behind
the bird, stone beneath soil, the sun behind Urth.  Behind our efforts, let