Re: [RFC] type safe trees

    But the support for cross compiling doesn't help your argument at all;
    I don't understand what your point is here.

I don't see the cross-compiling issue as relevant.  *At some point*, if
you are building a system meant for development, you have to take the
bootstrap step and when you do, any complexity will make things more
difficult.

    I cross-compile to self-hosted systems all the time already.  So do
    lots of other people on this list.  It's actually exceedingly
    convenient.

Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't.  It depends, among other things,
on how much homogeneity there is between the host and target. There's
a port to IA64/VMS going on now that's being done in a cross-environment
and it's a *major pain*.