Re: [RFC] type safe trees

Geoff Keating wrote:

We actually did an experiment with shrinking CONST_DECLs. It wasn't very impressive; there aren't enough of them to make a difference, and they mostly live in PCH files and never get used, which is cheap.

Was this the stree experiment, or something else? Also, one of the things we're thinking about is the effect on the system cache across compilations; if you have to go touch lots of pages to do GC and blow out your file system cache, then on the next compilation you're going to have to go back to disk to get the same headers (precompiled or otherwise) you just read. Have you investigated this idea at all to know whether or not there is any win to be had there?

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC