Re: Patch to allow Ada to work with tree-ssa

Richard Kenner wrote:

   You also managed to add another quadratic algorithm somewhere,
   see gcc.gnu.org/PR16163.  Can you please fix this asap.

Well, it's only quadratic due to the way the testcase is constructed.  And
the reason is due to something that I already know about and will be fixed by
a change I plan to make soon anyway.

The issue here is that the tree walker didn't used to look at the fields of
types. So it missed variables in DECL_FIELD_OFFSET, for example. Now that
it does, the cost of walking through a type is proportional to the number of
fields in the type.

If that's the only reason you're doing this walk, then you should just have a tag on types that indicates whether or not they have any fields with run-time offsets. There's no reason to be penalizing every standard C and C++ program for a feature used rarely in GNU C, never in GNU C++, and never in ISO C.

Please fix this ASAP.

I consider this a major regression.

Is there another global write person who will support me in reverting this patch, if 48 hours go by and this problem has not been solved?

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC