Re: V3 patch causes EH failures in ILP32 mode

B. Kosnik wrote:

When I worked on an error-checking tool that had a -Weffc++-like feature (and said tool was actually endorsed by Scott Meyers, no less), we tried to figure out whether or not dynamic memory really was involved using various heuristics. For example, "does the constructor call "new" and assign that to a data member?" The -Weffc++ implementation in G++ is not as sophisticated.

Well, since we're wishing..... yes, I really do wish -Weffc++ was more
sophisticated. One, for the issue under discussion: the heuristics you
mention sound pretty cool.

Yes....

I also forgot to say earlier that you should not make changes like this on release branches. This patch is a good example of an unncessary change with unintended consequences; the goal for the release branch is stability, not cleanliness. This patch didn't fix a bug, let alone a regresssion -- it should never have been applied.

Thanks,

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC