Re: Proposed targets to obsolete for 3.5, first pass

At 02:14 PM 6/21/2004, Steven Bosscher wrote:
On Monday 21 June 2004 22:51, Matt Thomas wrote:
> As someone pointed out, there is a free VAX emulator, simh.  Both
> NetBSD and Linux are ELF targets and simh does boot NetBSD/vax.
> Note that testsuite submission was by me.  I can actually build and
> run a NetBSD/vax ELF userland (non-shared) using GCC 3.3.x.

Are there any non-ELF vax targets you're aware of?  (And is the simulator
also ELF?).

Ultrix? BSD4.x? I believe the VAX/VMS target has already been obsoleted. Both Ultrix and BSD4.x are straight a.out ports. I'd like the a.out support to remain since the cost to keep it about zero. As stated elsewhere, the simulator is a hardware simulator and will doesn't really care about binary file formats.

Perhaps you can update the vax entry in backends.html, that would be a
start.  It's listed as not having a free simulator and not an ELF target.
Perhaps there are other things in that page that don't match the reality
of that port.  As the port maintainer, you're the one who can tell best...

Where is backends.html? It doesn't seem to be in my (recently) updated gcc CVS tree.

-- Matt Thomas email: matt@3am-software.com 3am Software Foundry www: http://3am-software.com/bio/matt/ Cupertino, CA disclaimer: I avow all knowledge of this message.